Downtown East point
East Point Main Street Association, Inc. – PO Box 91274, East Point, GA 30344
Donate Now
Main Street Board
EPMSA Projects
EPMSA Programs
Photo Gallery
Main Street Events
Main Street Businesses
Business of the Month
Business Owner Resources
Commercial Property
Downtown History & Facts
Flashback Feature
Neighborhood Participation
Media, Press & News
Downtown Nesletter

To preserve and enhance the downtown area as the heart of
East Point, communicating a sense of place, community pride and heritage, while providing for a successful business and
residential environment.

Downtown Flashback Feature

Each month, EPMSA will dig through the East Point Historical Society's archives to provide you with that month's "Flashback Feature". Each feature will highlight a photo and/or article from East Point's vibrant history. The photos/articles will give you a brief look at East Point back then . . . more information about East Point's history is available at the East Point Historical Society located at 1685 Norman Berry Drive, East Point, GA 30344. You can contact them at (404) 767-4656 or visit All "Flashback Features" will be archived on the website and can be accessed at any time.

From the Tabernacle to the Tower

East Point Tower
East Point Tower, 1612 West Cleveland Ave.

During the Civil War, the southeast corner of East Point Street and West Cleveland Avenue stood between a canon fort to the west (where City Hall now stands) and trenches to the east (dug along Main Street). Now it is home to a four-story low rise building --- the East Point Tower. Since the early days of East Point, this corner lot has changed hands many times.

An 1892 map indicates that this lot was part of the holdings of Capt. A.J. Lyle. Capt. Lyle was East Point’s first grocer. He eventually went into the business of real estate. Around 1907, First Baptist Church of East Point moved from their original location (south of Irene Kidd Parkway between the railroads) to this downtown corner. Their building at this new location was known as “Baptist Tabernacle,” and the congregation worshipped here until they moved in 1924 to their present location (corner of East Point Street and Thompson Avenue).

First Federal Savings
First Federal Savings building built in 1961.

At some point, the Baptist Tabernacle was taken down and in its place was built a gas station. It remained a gas station during the 30s, 40s, and 50s until the First Federal Savings and Loan Association acquired the property in 1959. In 1961, First Federal built the current building at a cost of $125,000. The bank has since closed its doors, and today the building serves as office/retail space, event space, penthouse residence and an art gallery.

East Point Historical Society
Be sure to visit the East Point Historical Society at 1685 Norman Berry Drive to learn more about our city’s history.

- Marguerite Murray, EPHS

Gas Station
Gas station circa 1930s.

East Point Tower PenthouseEast Point Tower’s transformation was also recognized by the AJC in two articles, “The Secret’s Out, East Point Is In” and “East Point Bank Becomes Penthouse Home”.

« Pictured left: Penthouse Home (AJC)


“Early History of East Point: An Historical Sketch of Pioneer Days,” S. N. Thompson, 1933.
First Baptist Church of East Point: 100 Year History
“East Point City Council Minutes”
Steven K. Bramlett, curator, East Point Historical Society

Baptist Tabernacle East Point Tower Gallery

Above Left: Baptist Tabernacle – Originally located at the southeast corner of West Cleveland and East Point Street approximately 1907-1926 (facing West Cleveland) | Above Right: East Point Tower Gallery - today